As distribution lists grow, so does the level of coordination required. UT System Communications and Marketing manages the creation and distribution of email campaigns sent to:
- All faculty and staff statewide, and
- Customized lists of employees that span multiple departments, campuses and/or institutes
To request a mass email, contact the client manager assigned to your office or complete the project intake form. Ideally, requests should be made at least seven business days in advance of the preferred distribution date.
Mass emails are sent using an email marketing platform on behalf of the UT President, members of the president’s cabinet or offices reporting to the president.
Criteria for Internal Mass Communication
- Messages must be timely and have direct relevance to all recipients
- Messages must include all relevant information
- Typically, only one email is sent per topic unless part of a necessarily ongoing series
- One reminder email may be permitted to reinforce an important deadline
- Messages should be short and concise, approximately 300 words or less
- Messages that require more information should include a link(s) for further reading
- Attachments are not allowed
- Promoted events must be sponsored by the University and of a high-profile nature
- Typically, only one invitation and one reminder are allowed
- Announcements of retirements, resignations, searches and appointments are limited to presidents emeriti, presidents and president’s staff (vice presidents, chief officers, chancellors and executive directors)
- Announcements of a personal nature are not allowed, except in the event of a death of one of the individuals listed above
- Announcements of a commercial or political nature are not allowed
Messages outside the above criteria may be communicated to more targeted audiences or through other channels, such as listservs, newsletters and websites.
When communicating to an external audience, coordination with UT System Communications and Marketing becomes even more important.
To get started, contact the client manager assigned to your office or complete the project intake form. Ideally, requests should be made at least seven business days in advance of the preferred distribution date.
Design and Effectiveness
UT System Communications and Marketing uses Mailchimp to design, distribute and measure the effectiveness of all bulk emails sent on behalf of the UT System Administration.
This best-in-class technology allows team members to:
- Create branded templates for each office that incorporate UT System logos and highlight the system’s statewide presence
- Design layouts best suited for the goals of each campaign
- Track performance based on open rates, click-throughs, bounces, etc.
- Comply with accessibility requirements
- Abide by legal requirements including GDPR and allowing users to unsubscribe
- And much more
Anyone interested in using Mailchimp to communicate with an internal or external audience on a regular basis is encouraged to contact the client manager assigned to your office or complete the project intake form.
While Communications and Marketing manages creation and distribution of all bulk emails, there are circumstances where it is beneficial to help staff members create office- or project-specific Mailchimp accounts. If this is something you’re interested in, let’s chat!